The festive season has got underway in Rio de Janeiro in spectacular style.
The world’s largest floating Christmas tree has been lit up in the heart of the city.
Over 100,000 people flocked to the lagoon to watch a six-minute fireworks
show. It’s become one of Rio’s main tourist attractions.
This year, the decorations on the 85 metre-high structure have been based on
the four seasons.
Watch the video and learn more about it:
the festive season
the Christmas and New Year period
travelled in great numbers
display of colourful explosives used for entertainment
things used to make something look more attractive
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these
sentences from news reports. You may have to change the form of a word to complete the
the festive season/lit up/flocked to/fireworks show/decorations
1. The latest to be __________ , and some of the most famous, are on Regent
Street in central London.
2. The Lamma IV had been carrying employees of Hong Kong Electric and their
family members to watch the __________ held to celebrate China’s National Day.
3. The campaign’s online animation delivers a message about how easy it can be
to lose count of the amount you drink over __________.
4. Constructed largely from waste, it contains video tapes, toothbrushes and
even Christmas __________.
5. Arab foreign ministers __________ Gaza to demonstrate solidarity, while
Egypt mediated a ceasefire that included provisions to ease Israel’s blockade of