Does traffic drive you nuts?
Before the listening exercise, check if you understand the key vocabulary:
I can seriously get mega road rage.
Road rage is anger drivers feel towards other drivers about how they drive. Notice the following:
- There is usually more road rage in the city than in the country.
- When my dad drives on the highway, he sometimes gets road rage.
I think that some people are selfish and it drives me bonkers.
When something drives you bonkers, it annoys you. Notice the following:
- It drives me bonkers when people do not clean the kitchen after they use it.
- It drives me bonkers when people talk while eating food.
So you have road compassion and road rage at the same time?
Compassion is sympathy or pity for people who are suffering. Notice the following:
- Our mayor has no compassion for the homeless.
- A kind teacher has compassion for students who do not like to study.
As you’re driving along, your road rage manifests.
When something manifests, it becomes clear for other’s to see. Notice the following:
- His poor behaviour usually manifests after he starts drinking.
- Many medical conditions manifest after people turn 40.
This person has to calm you down and talk you through it.
When you talk someone through something, you give them guidance as they do it by talking to them and giving help or encouragement. Notice the following:
- My boss talked me through how to use the new software.
- I was a little unsure how to cook a turkey but my mom talked me through it.